The worst journey in the world - Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Deel hier je ervaringen van je boek of film die je bij is blijven staan. Nieuwe boeken, oude films. Aanraders en reviews.
Plaats reactie
David

The worst journey in the world - Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Bericht door David »

Niet helemaal bushcraft, eerder snow- and icecraft.

De titel doet het ergst vrezen, en qua reis moet dat absoluut kloppen. Wat boek betreft behoort het tot de klassiekers in reisliteratuur.
De titel slaat op een vijf weken lange tocht van drie onderzoekers (waaronder de schrijver) tijdens de Antarctische winter om eieren van de keizer pinguïn te verzamelen. Dit betekent in het pikkedonker (eventueel sterre, maan, aurora) in temperaturen van minus 60° C. En dan nog stormen erbij. Alleen al in de slaapzak gaan kostte een half uur. En dan waren ze eigenlijk de hele nacht bezig om de slaapzak te ontdooien. Stukje "The nearest approach to healthy sleep we had had for nearly a month was when during blizzards the temperature allowed the warmth of our bodies to thaw some of the ice in our clothing and sleeping-bags into water." Ze overleven een storm van een paar dagen in de open lucht. En dit is maar een miniscuul deel van alleen deze trip.

De schrijver, Cherry-Garrad, is één van de jonste expeditieleden van Scott's laatste expeditie naar de zuidpool. Een dikke pil, bijna 600 bladzijden, maar zeer de moeite waard. Hier een link naar de online versie: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14363/14363-h/i.htm

Groet,
David

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. (John Muir)
galemys

Re:The worst journey in the world - Apsley Cherry-Garrard

Bericht door galemys »

Leuk, dank voor de link

Ik had hier ooit ´s over gehoord, was het niet zo dat ze na al hun ontberingen amper aandacht kregen voor het meegenomen pinguinei?

Grt,

Tom

I always carry my tinder in my bellybutton...
David

Bericht door David »

[quote="galemys"]
Ik had hier ooit ´s over gehoord, was het niet zo dat ze na al hun ontberingen amper aandacht kregen voor het meegenomen pinguinei?
[/quote]
Klopt, toen Cherry z'n, met gevaar voor eigen leven, verzamelde ei (zijn mede expeditieleden (Wilson en Birdie Bowers) komen te overlijden in de uiteindelijke terugreis vanaf de zuipool samen met Scott) komt brengen naar het Natural History Museum moet hij heel lang wachten op een ontvangstbewijs. Stukje wordt beschreven op typisch britse wijze van "understatement".

Groet,
David

I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in. (John Muir)
David

Bericht door David »

Wil jullie deze citaten uit het boek niet onthouden:
"But in these days we were never less than four hours from the moment when Bill cried "Time to get up" to the time when we got into our harness. It took two men to get one man into his harness, and was all they could do, for the canvas was frozen and our clothes were frozen until sometimes not even two men could bend them into the required shape.

The trouble is sweat and breath. I never knew before how much of the body's waste comes out through the pores of the skin. On the most bitter days, when we had to camp before we had done a four-hour march in order to nurse back our frozen feet, it seemed that we must be sweating. And all this sweat, instead of passing away through the porous wool of our clothing and gradually drying off us, froze and accumulated. It passed just away from our flesh and then became ice: we shook plenty of snow and ice down from inside our trousers every time we changed our foot-gear, and we could have shaken it from our vests and from between our vests and shirts, but of course we could not strip to this extent. But when we got into our sleeping-bags, if we were fortunate, we became warm enough during the night to thaw this ice: part remained in our clothes, part passed into the skins of our sleeping-bags, and soon both were sheets of armour-plate.

As for our breath—in the daytime it did nothing worse than cover the lower parts of our faces with ice and solder our balaclavas tightly to our heads. It was no good trying to get your balaclava off until you had had the primus going quite a long time, and then you could throw your breath about if you wished. The trouble really began in your sleeping-bag, for it was far too cold to keep a hole open through which to breathe. So all night long our breath froze into the skins, and our respiration became quicker and quicker as the air in our bags got fouler and fouler: it was never possible to make a match strike or burn inside our bags!

Of course we were not iced up all at once: it took several days of this kind of thing before we really got into big difficulties on this score. It was not until I got out of the tent one morning fully ready to pack the sledge that I realized the possibilities ahead. We had had our breakfast, struggled into our foot-gear, and squared up inside the tent, which was comparatively warm. Once outside, I raised my head to look round and found I could not move it back. My clothing had frozen hard as I stood—perhaps fifteen seconds. For four hours I had to pull with my head stuck up, and from that time we all took care to bend down into a pulling position before being frozen in."

Je hoofd omdraaien als je de tent uitgaat met als gevolg dat je de hele dag je hoofd gedraaid moet houden.......

Groet,
David

Jan

Bericht door Jan »

klinkt niet alleen als ontbering, dit was een complete martelgang....

Het nut, of beter gezegd, noodzaak, van een kachel, waarmee je alles droog kunt houden, wordt hiermee wel bewezen.

Groeten,

Jan

Plaats reactie